SPEX is a software package optimized for the analysis and interpretation of high-resolution cosmic X-ray spectra. The software is especially suited for fitting spectra obtained by current X-ray observatories like XMM-Newton, Chandra, Suzaku, and Hitomi. SPEX will be continuously improved to handle spectra from high-resolution X-ray instruments on future missions like Athena.
The advantages of SPEX 3.0
- Fast fitting due to efficient memory and multi-core CPU usage
- Optimal design of response matrices
- Fit multiple spectra with different model components simultaneously
- Handles highly complex models with many free parameters
- Wide range of models available based on single atomic database
- Contains up-to-date atomic data
- Easy to fit grating spectra of spatially extended sources
If you use SPEX for research that will appear in a scientific publication, then please add a reference to Kaastra, Mewe and Nieuwenhuijzen (1996) and a reference to the specific SPEX version on Zenodo. A&A tested BibTeX entries for these publications can be downloaded here.